Mennonite Board of Missions
Boxes (1 Green, 1 Large)
The Mission board stamp was
deposited into the archives by Becky Miller, Mennonite Board of
Elkhart, Indiana, in 1975 (Accession #3599).
The Aurora Associates stamp was
deposited into the archives in 1987 by
Ethel Hoffman, Mennonite Board of Missions, Elkhart, Indiana (Accession
#5272). The mission banks were deposited
into the archives by Deborah Byler, Mennonite Mission Network, Elkhart,
Indiana, in 2004. And the items from
"Handing on the Legacy, 1882-2002" celebration were picked up in 2001
by Dennis Stoesz, and
placed in this
artifact collection. (Accession #7205, 1 Large Box, February 14, 2006)
Box 1 (Green)
Board of Missions and Charities, Wayne Co., Ohio".
Handle is partly broken.
The board was incorporated on June 20,
1906, at Rittman,
Wayne County, Ohio, as signed by Christian P. Steiner, Menno S.
S. Yoder, Lewis J. Lehman, and Abram Metzler.
Copy of Incorporation papers found
with Executive Office (IV-6-2, Box 1
Large, Official Documents, 1906-68, File 1).
Associates, Inc., Indiana, Corporate Seal" - stamp used to
into paper and verify documents from this company.
documentation on this company, based from
"Rancho Aurora, Brazil, 1954-68" can be found in the C. L. Graber,
Goshen, Indiana, Collection (Hist. Mss. 1-209, Box 1, Folders -8-15,
and Box 6,
Box 2 (Large)
Savings Bank", 1950-2004 (3). "Property of Mennonite Board of
Missions and Charities, Elkhart, Indiana."
Each one has slightly different
colorations. All are the same size, and
all have the bottom
button intact (which opens and closes the bank). Date
from about 1950, when Mission Board
began using these banks. Date at least
up to 1968 when publicity materials continue to feature these banks.
Box 2 (Large) (Continued)
Savings Bank, 1950-2004 (Continued)
particular mission banks were used by persons
in Ontario, Canada, who donated them to Deborah Byler, Mennonite
Network, Elkhart, Indiana, when she visited there in 2003.
file of "Documentation" on
these mission banks, including some stories of their use, and
the bank (2004). Before 1950, the
Mission Board used "Mission Boxes" to raise money, at least as early
as the 1920s, although the archives does not have a photograph or
example of such a box.
Handing on the
Legacy, 1882-2002 - Celebration of September 1-2, 2001,
of Missions, 500 S. Main St., Elkhart, Indiana.
Various materials picked up at the
celebration. Includes file ofprogram, map
of floor 2 and 3
showing historical events being celebrated, historical walk brochure
narration of significance of Mennonite beginnings in Elkhart, Indiana
Materials also include 2 cups, 2001,
"Handing on the
Legacy, MBM: 1882-2002, Mennonite Board of Missions, the Whole Gospel
Broken World" and "Mennonite Board of Missions, the Whole Gospel for
a Broken World", a yoyo in the shape of a globe, a cassette, 2 videos
(VHS), a T-shirt, and fridge magnets.
Photographs, 2001, of historical
wooden table made in
India, put together by many wooden blocks.
Photographs by Dennis Stoesz.
February 14, 2006 / Dennis
2009 / Posted by
Church USA Archives-Goshen, 1700 S. Main St., Goshen, Indiana
Mennonite Board of Missions Series Listing