Mennonite Board of Missions
Personnel Files, Voluntary
These files consist of individual personnel files of
terminated voluntary service workers, and contain a personnel
a photograph of the individual, personal references, and correspondence
Mennonite Board of Missions and the individual concerning their
work assignment. Some of these forms are
for the Voluntary Service assignments and Christian Service assignments.
These personnel files belonging to
Voluntary Service has its roots in 1917 as the Mennonite Relief
War Sufferers, directed by the Mennonite Board of Missions and
Charities. This commission came to an end
in 1926 and
its work was taken over by the Mennonite Relief Committee (MRC). The
Service Program began in 1943 and was administered by the MRC. The MRC
closely with the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) in relief work
WW II. Levi C. Hartzler became the first
full-time secretary of the MRC in 1948.
An I-W (military alternative service
program) counseling service was
begun in 1952 with the implementation of the draft.
In 1953, the MRC was renamed the
Relief and Service Committee. In 1971,
the MBMC changed to the Mennonite Board of Missions.
Service Personnel files were
originally maintained within the Mennonite Relief and Services
within a few years, a centralized filing system for personnel records
implemented and seems to continue to the present. In
1952-54, the personnel files were likely
maintained by the Personnel director and Office Manager of the
and Services Committee, Dorsa Mishler. A Personnel Committee formed in
1953. In 1955 - 59, Dorsa Mishler became
the Personnel secretary of the MBMC and there was no Personnel director
Voluntary Services. In 1960-67, there
was a Voluntary Service Personnel Secretary under the Personnel
1968 to the present there was no individual position responsible for
Voluntary Service Personnel Files, but the Personnel Committee and MRSC
continued as before.
The first set of personnel
files, dating from 1949-66, were
deposited into the archives by Mennonite Board of Missions in 1962-72.
set of files, dating from 1962-72, were deposited in 1983. A
project of the first A-D files was attempted in 1984, although the
this project is uncertain. The terminated personnel files dating from
and organized by year, were deposited on a regular basis from 1985-95
Hoffman, Services and Facilities Department.
list in this cover page for the detailed
personnel files was summarized by Dennis Stoesz, April 22, 1998. The Scope and Content, and departmental
history, and administrative information was added by Serena Bracewell.
1949-66, A-Z Boxes 1-23
1962-72, A-Z Boxes 24-33
2, 2004 / Updated by Serena Bracewell
2008 / Posted by Alex Lake
Church USA Archives-Goshen, 1700 S. Main St.,
Goshen, Indiana 46526
Mennonite Board of Missions Series Listing
Webmaster: Andrea K.B. Golden | Design: John E.
Sharp | Last Updated: 11/24/2008 APL
Minding Mennonite Memory
"God calls us to preserve our heritage, to interpret our faith stories,
proclaim God's work among us."