Archives of the Mennonite Church
By Dennis Stoesz, Archivist
What follows is a sampling of personal
papers and organizational records that have come into the archives
during the first six months of 1997. They are listed alphabetically
by the name of the collection.
Graber, C. L., 1895-1987, and Mina (Roth) Graber, 1895-1968,
Goshen, Indiana. Photograph album, 1950-1952, of Grabers'
work with refugees in Europe after World War II, under the auspices
of the Mennonite Central Committee, and of a trip to Puerto Rico,
1953. Includes pictures of workers, refugees, and Mennonite families
and churches in Germany, Netherlands, France and Switzerland.
Persons include Christ Witmer family, C. F. Klassen, Rev. and
Mrs. J. J. Voth, Orie O. Miller, home of Christian Schnebele,
and Edward and Elsie Butzman. Album also includes photographs
of Dan and Mary (Graber) Widmer, Iowa, and of their visit to
Puerto Rico, 1953, where their daughter Gladys Widmer worked.
1 Photograph Album. Donor: Gladys (Graber) Beyler.
Jubilee Mennonite Church, 1996- , West Liberty, Ohio.
Church records, 1995-96, of the birth of this congregation. Includes
church bulletins, a Lenten devotional, a short history of the
church, correspondence, membership lists, a mission statement,
a treasurer's report, and a program of the first official meeting,
January 21, 1996. 2 Files. Donor: Mary K. Yoder.
Kreider, Leonard C. Photographs, 1927-1931, taken by Kreider
when he was a student at Goshen College. Includes informal shots
of friends, dating couples, fun and game activities, sports events,
campus buildings, dormitory rooms, faculty, building of Coffman
hall and the Goshen dam. Also includes formal photographs of
several individual students, sport teams, debating team, Vesperian
society, staff of Record newspaper, 1931, and the Aurora
society. Kreider quite likely developed his own pictures. Collection
consists of three albums, mostly identified, original negatives,
and one panorama photograph of the whole Goshen College faculty
and student body. 10 linear inches. Donor: Rachel (Weaver) Kreider,
Mennonite Central Committee, 1920- , Akron, Pennsylvania.
Records, 1941-1995, including various series of records reflecting
the work of this service organization. The one set of records,
dating from 1975-84, have been microfilmed and are found on 56
reels. This includes the official correspondence 1984, reports,
1975-84, Peace Section files, 1980-84, personnel files, 1981-85,
and the Polish Trainee personnel files, 1971-83. The other set
of records include audio-visual materials, 1967-95, Financial
Services files, 1941-82, Washington Office files, 1968-93, European
Office files, 1950s-84, and files from several district offices:
Great Lakes office, 1968-84, Central States office, 1972-84,
and the West Coast office, 1952-84. 9.5 linear feet. Donor: Irene
Leaman, Records Manager.
Mennonite Church of Warsaw, 1988- , Warsaw, Indiana. Church
bulletins, 1989-1996, from its beginning when four couples started
meeting in Warsaw. The congregation began to use church bulletins
on December 10, 1989. Bob Gerber was pastor from 1989-1995, and
Frank Byler was interim pastor in 1996. Donor: Arlo C. Brenneman,
Mininger, Paul, 1908-1997, and Mary (Erb) Mininger, 1906-1983,
Goshen, Indiana. Papers, 1885-1994, from three generations,
including correspondence from grandmother Eliga D. Mininger,
1903-09, an 1885 childhood scrapbook from Hettie Kulp, and correspondence,
articles, photographs and sermons from Mininger's father and
mother J. D. and Hettie (Kulp) Mininger, dating from 1932-1955.
Materials from Paul Mininger include sermon notes, school notes,
and correspondence, dating from 1944-1994, reflecting his ministry
at North Goshen Mennonite Church, his presidency at Goshen College,
1954-70, and his research into Christian higher education. 23.75
linear feet. Donor: Paul Mininger and Jim Mininger.
Phalo Literary Club, 1913- , Goshen, Indiana. Records,
1913-1994, including a minute book, 1978-1994, Program booklets,
1974-92, Constitutions, 1958-89, 75th anniversary program booklet,
1912-1988, and programs and charter membership of that first
year, 1913-14. The first meeting was held on November 25, 1913,
when twenty women met in the home of Mrs. D. S. Gerig, on 8th
Street in Goshen. The purpose of the club was to study and discuss
literature through the review of books. The name of the club
was born when its charter members decided the subjects to be
considered would include Philosophy, History, Art,
Literature and Oratory. 4 linear inches. Donors:
Florence Amstutz, Pauline K. King and Ethel O. Yoder.
Schmucker, Mark A. Papers, 1980-1987, including correspondence,
articles and newspaper clippings regarding the October 1982 court
case in which Schmucker was convicted for failing to register
for the draft. He was a twenty-two year old Goshen College student
at the time. Schmucker was ordered to pay a $4,000. fine by the
U.S. district court in Cleveland, Ohio, and sentenced to three
years probation, two of which he served in public service work
at Emmaus Home, a United Church of Christ-affiliated residence
for retarded adults in Marthasville, Missouri. He was the third
person in the nation, and the first Mennonite, to be prosecuted
after a 1980 presidential proclamation reinstating draft registration.
20 linear inches. Donor: Anna Belle and Arden Schmucker, Alliance,
Seniors for Peace, 1988- , Goshen, Indiana. Records, 1988-95,
including minutes, programs, articles and correspondence on the
work of this group. Many presentations were given at the given
at the Greencroft Senior Center over the years on various topics
of peace. 10 linear inches. Donors: Florence Amstutz, Atlee and
Winifred Beechy, and Evelyn Kreider.
Steiner, M. S., 1866-1911. Correspondence, 1885-1889,
from Steiner in Ohio to Abraham P. Shenk of Elida, Ohio (1885)
and of Rockingham County, Virginia (1885-1889). In 1885, Steiner
writes about attending a Sabbath School (Sunday School) at Bluffton,
Ohio. In March 1888, he writes that "out of the money collected
in the [Sunday] school not a cent is to be used for any thing
but spreading the Gospel." Steiner suggests that the money
be sent to the evangelizing fund at Elkhart, Indiana. 1 File.
Donor: Esther Shenk Buckwalter, Newport News, Virginia.
Twenty-Sixth Street Mennonite Church, 1906-1944, Chicago,
Illinois. Two photographs, 1911, of the cradle roll and the
Mennonite mission at the time John C. and Barbara Hernley Paul
were workers there. Photographs were taken in the newly completed
building on 26th Street in Chicago. This 26th St. church was
begun in 1906 by A. M. and Anna (Annacker) Eash, and they were
the main directors of the mission through the years. In November
1908, eight converts were baptized and received into church membership.
By 1909, revival meetings by S. E. Allgyer and others resulted
in over 92 converts to Christ. The mission was under the Mennonite
Board of Missions, Elkhart, until 1923, when the Central Mennonite
Conference assumed leadership of it. 1 File. Donor: Winifred
Paul, Scottdale, Pennsylvania.
Wyse, Olive G., 1906- , Goshen, Indiana. Papers and photographs,
1918-1995, reflecting Wyse's fifty years of involvement and teaching
as Professor of Home Economics at Goshen College, Goshen, Indiana,
1926-1976. It includes course outlines, lists of Home Economic
graduates, 1928-69, a report on "equal pay for equal work"
(1947), minutes and reports of the Faculty Fellowship Committee,
Social Committee and Faculty Dinners, 1940-69, and material on
a 1957 Conference on the Education of Women. The collection also
includes materials from her high school education at Wayland,
Iowa (1922), her college education at Iowa Wesleyan College (1924)
and Goshen College (B.A., 1926), and her graduate work at State
University of Iowa (M.S., 1933) and at Columbia University (Ed.D.,
1946). Wyse wrote a history of the Goshen College Home Economics
Department in 1963, wrote a senior statement in 1976 upon her
retirement, and wrote a reflective piece called "History
as Identity" in 1978. 10 linear feet. Donor: Olive G. Wyse.
--Dennis Stoesz has served as archivist at the Archives of
the Mennonite Church since 1989.
Mennonite Historical Bulletin, July, 1997