New Treasures: Archives of the Mennonite Church
By Dennis Stoesz, Archivist
What follows is a sampling of personal papers and organizational
records that have come into the archives during the last six
months of 1997. They are listed alphabetically by the name of
Hage, Friedrich, 1794-1863. Papers, 1819-1891, 1975-1977,
reflecting Hage's life in Germany and emigration to the United
States in 1825-26. Friedrich Hage was married to Feronica Esch
in 1818. Hage served as an Amish-Mennonite minister in Germany
and as an Amish bishop in Holmes County, Ohio. Documents include
verification on tenancy at four estates in Bavaria, 1819-1826;
letter regarding possible emigration to Brazil, 1825; passport
for Hage, wife, two children and a hired hand, 1825-26; receipt
of passage from Hamburg to Philadelphia, June 29, 1826; and individual
documents on Esch, Hage and Bontrager families, 1858-1891, 1975-1977.
The 1744 Froschauer Bible, which contains Hage and Esch family
records, formed a part of this collection, has been placed with
the Mennonite Historical Library, Goshen College. The Bible was
owned by Johannes Esch from 1786-1820, and was then purchased
by Hage in 1820. Papers form one Legal File. Donor: Sue Bontrager,
Hostetler, Lester, 1892-1989, and Charity (Steiner) Hostetler,
1895-1987. Photographs, circa 1890s-1920s; and plain coat
and vest, 1921. Photographs are of the Steiner and Eby families,
of the time Lester and Charity were at Goshen College, 1906-1916,
and of their time at Walnut Creek Mennonite Church, Walnut Creek,
Ohio. Plain coat and vest, 1921, belonged to Lester Hostetler,
who was ordained at Walnut Creek Mennonite Church in 1915 and
served as pastor there from 1918 to 1924. 2.5 linear feet. Donor:
Alice Kreider, Goshen, Indiana.
Illinois Mennonite Conference, 1872- , Tiskilwa, Illinois.
Records, 1954-1997, including the files of conference coordinator,
Ivan Kauffmann, 1986-90; the working files of the executive committee,
1954-86; and cassette tape recordings of annual conferences,
1995-97. The records reflect the various activities and projects
of the conference, including missions in Chicago and the Quad
cities, leadership and ordination in the conference, youth ministry,
the conference minister, the treasurer, the congregations, and
the work of the nurture, finance, evangelism, peace and service
commissions. 7.5 linear feet. Donor: Marilyn Eigsti, Administrative
International Voluntary Service, 1953- , Washington, D.C.
Records, 1952-1994, including minutes, reports, program files,
photographs, tape recordings and videos of this organization
which is funded by the United States Government and has roots
in Brethren, Quaker and Mennonite constituencies. Includes minutes
and reports of the Executive and Board of Directors, 1952-70,
as collected by secretary William T. Snyder; program files (alumni
files) of IVS's involvement in Ecuador and Bolivia, 1989-94;
and audiovisual materials of IVS's work in Vietnam, 1959-72,
and work in Algeria, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Cambodia, Ecuador,
Honduras, Southern Africa, Sudan, Thailand, Yemen and Zaire,
1971-93. 10 linear feet. Donor: Anne Shirk, Program Development.
Kime, Earl Lee, 1919- , Mishawaka, Indiana. Family
correspondence and papers, 1846-1892, from Carl W. Miller, 1818-1899,
and Christiana (Aschinger) Miller, 1825-1901. They were married
in 1849 in Germany and were Lutheran in faith. In 1852, they
emigrated with two small boys to the United States, and eventually
joined the Amish, who had befriended them in Lancaster County,
Pennsylvania. Millers moved to Wayne County, Ohio, around 1856,
and there joined Oak Grove Mennonite Church. In 1876, they moved
to Elkhart County, Indiana, and they are buried in Clinton Frame
Cemetery. The book, Carl and Christiana Miller Family, as written
by Lillian L. Miller and Esther Mabel Yoder, 1997, was part of
this collection, and is available at the Mennonite Historical
Library, Goshen College. 6.5 linear inches. Donor: Earl L. Kime.
Mennonite Camping Association, 1960- . Records, 1975-1996,
of this inter-Mennonite fellowship of camps, which reflect the
work of the Board of Directors through this time period. The
records include board minutes, MCA Newsletter, incorporation
papers, statements on philosophy and objectives and on curriculum
development, financial reports, and reports from biennial conventions.
The association holds biennial meetings, with regional meetings
held in alternate years. The Presidents who have served two year
terms starting in 1976 are: William Weaver, Terry Burkhalter,
Orv Gingerich, Oswald Goering, Paul Beiler, J. Alton Horst, Leroy
Mast, Dana Sommers, Robert M. Bender, Tim Lehman and Mary Jane
Eby. Earlier Eldina Miller Nussbaum had served as treasurer,
1951-76, and Virgil Brenneman as Executive Secretary, 1968-77.
2 linear feet. Donor: Mary Jane Eby, President, Siletz, Oregon,
via Howard E. Krehbiel, Bluffton, Ohio.
Mennonite Church, Hymnal Project, 1982-1992, Mary K. Oyer.
Records, 1982-1989, as collected and retained by Mary K. Oyer,
including minutes, correspondence, a comparison of hymn tunes
and texts from the different traditions, a list of hymns considered
for the Hymnal: A Worship Book (1992), and the preparation and
publication of Hymnal Sampler (1989). Oyer was chair of this
hymnal project from 1984-86, and project manager, 1987-89. She
also was editor of the Hymnal Sampler, 1989. The hymnal was published
in 1992 as a joint project of the Church of the Brethren, General
Conference Mennonite Church, and Mennonite Church, with contributions
from Churches of God and Mennonite Brethren. 2.4 linear feet.
Donor: Mary K. Oyer, Goshen, Indiana.
Michiana Anabaptist Historians, 1992-. Records, 1991-1997,
including minutes, newsletters, reports, constitutions, membership
lists, cassette tapes, and published articles of this historical
group based in northern Indiana and southern Michigan (Michiana).
Meetings are held in spring and fall of each year. Began as a
group of congregational historians meeting together in 1991,
and became an official organization in 1992. Presidents have
included Russell Krabill and John F. Murray. Donors: Al Albrecht,
Secretary, and Dennis Stoesz, Member.
Rohrer, Warren, 1927-1995, "Study from Menno Simons"
1961. Woodcut of Menno Simons, 1961, that Rohrer was commissioned
by Eastern Mennonite University to commemorate the 400th anniversary
of the death of Simons. Rohrer indicated that his natural tendency
in cutting the woodcut portrait was to respect the rough cuttings
of the tools as they served to create an effect, somewhat expressionistic,
which would have paralleled so well a degree of fanaticism revealed
in Menno's early life. However, he ultimately chose to deal with
Menno Simons as the humble and simple man that he became, with
particular emphasis given to the eyes. Owen Gingerich, who was
interested in art and who had served on the same cattle boat
with Rohrer in 1946, bought the print for fifteen dollars in
1961. Only forty prints were made. One Print, 61. x 45.6 cm,
3 / 20 Second Edition. Donor: Owen Gingerich, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Wyse, Joe S. and Myrtle, Stryker, Ohio. Photographs
and Papers, 1948-50, of Wyse's work in Holland and in Kiel, Germany,
under the auspices of Mennonite Central Committee (MCC). Includes
snapshots, memorabilia, post cards, and thank-you photograph
albums and paintings made by the persons receiving relief. Collection
also includes ration stamps, 1945, and slides of trips made by
the Wyse's, ca. 1958-62. The arm patch worn by MCC Relief Workers
was part of this collection, and it has been placed with the
Mennonite Central Committee's museum collection here at the Archives.
7 linear inches. Donor: Children of Joe S. and Myrtle Wyse, via
Vera Schmucker, Goshen, Indiana.
Yellow Creek Mennonite Church, 1845- , Goshen, Indiana.
Photographs, circa 1900s, of interior and exterior of the 1861
meetinghouse. Photograph of exterior of the 1861 meetinghouse
was taken before 1912, when the church relocated to a new brick
building across the road. Date of interior photograph is unknown
- the Wisler Mennonite group continue to use this church today.
1 file. Donor: Marvin Newcomer, Goshen, Indiana.
Dennis Stoesz has served as archivist since 1989.
Mennonite Historical Bulletin, January 1998