New Treasures: Archives of the Mennonite
By Dennis Stoesz, Archivist
What follows is a sampling of personal papers and organizational
records that have come into the archives during the first six
months of 1998. They are listed alphabetically by the name of
Amigo Centre, 1957- , Sturgis, Michigan. Records, 1996,
including executive minutes, board minutes, program development
and usage of camp. Twenty-nine computer files totalling 216,638
bytes, as contained on one three-and-a-half inch high density
disk. 1 inch. Donor: Dana L. Sommers, Executive Director.
Believers' Church Conferences, 1967- . Records, 1963-1997,
including correspondence, programs and some papers from the fourteen
conferences which have been held to study the concept of the
Believers' Church. These materials were generated by co-convenors
Donald F. Durnbaugh and John H. Yoder who worked with a larger
group of some twenty persons on a Committee on Continuing Conversations.
The conferences have been held once every two or three years
from 1967-1996. Hosts have been Anderson School of Theology,
Ashland Theological Seminary, Baptist Theological Seminary, Bethany
Theological Seminary, Bluffton College, Canadian Mennonite Bible
College, Chicago Theological Seminary, Goshen College, Laurelville
Mennonite Church Center, McMaster Divinity School, Pepperdine
University, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Southwestern
Baptist Theological Seminary, and World Baptist Alliance. 2.5
linear feet. Donors: Donald F. Durnbaugh, Juniata College, and
John H. Yoder, Notre Dame University.
Goshen College, 1894- , Board of Overseers. Minutes
and Dockets, 1970-1988. This Board was known earlier as the Local
Board, 1924-1941, and was known as the Board of Overseers by
the 1960s. 1 linear foot. Donor: Stephanie Zeser, Office of the
President and Provost, Goshen College.
Goshen College, 1894- , Counseling Services. Records,
1941-1991, including minutes of Student Personnel Policy Committee,
1941-1971; program files, A-Z, 1953-1968; annual reports, 1966-85;
and program files, 1959-1991. File topics include such things
as drug abuse, 1971; sexual ethics, 1982-88; minority relations
committee, 1987-89; Black Student Union, 1977-78; Menno Pause
incident, 1967; dance incident, 1965-68; discipline study, 1959-68;
and student involvement in college governance, 1961. Russ Liechty
was Director of Counseling Services from 1978-1993, and earlier
had been Assistant Dean of Men and then Dean of Students. 12.5
linear feet. Donor: Russell A. Liechty, Goshen, Indiana.
Goshen College, 1894- , English Department. Records,
1929-1970, including administrative files, course outlines, essays
and teaching notes of S. A. Yoder, who was Professor of English
at Goshen College from 1930-35, and 1946-70, and served as chair
of the department for many years. Materials also include papers
from when Yoder was a student at Harvard University, University
of Michigan and Indiana University, 1929-36. The English department
existed at Goshen College since 1903, and earlier English professors
have included Solomon F. Gingerich, 1905-12, John S. Umble, 1924-54,
and Paul Erb, 1939-46. 1.7 linear feet. Donor: Ervin Beck, English
Department, Goshen College.
Goshen College, 1894- , Faculty Meetings. Minutes,
1976-1990, of faculty meetings, including agendas, memos, reports,
exhibits and policy statements. The earliest faculty minutes
date back to September 10, 1901, when they were begun at Elkhart
Institute. .7 linear feet. Donor: Stephanie Zeser, Office of
the President and Provost, Goshen College.
Hostetler, La Verne Yoder, 1914-1990. Scrapbook albums,
1926-1934, of when La Verne Yoder, daughter of President S. C.
Yoder, was a student at Goshen College Academy (High School),
1926-30, and at Goshen College, 1930-34. The first album was
given to La Verne by five of her friends on her 16th birthday.
She subsequently wrote in it, and pasted photographs of activities
in which she was involved. La Verne also kept a scrapbook of
her college days at Goshen College, which includes memorabilia
and snapshots. 1.25 linear feet. Donor: Jane Robinett, Calexico,
Hostetler, S. Jay, 1901-1978, and Ida (Miller) Hostetler,
1900-1972. Papers, photographs, slides and tape recordings,
1927-1976, of their ministry in India, Ghana, Nigeria, and North
America. Includes sermons preached in India and North America,
1927-56; historical articles, correspondence, photographs, and
tape recordings of their work as missionaries in Ghana, 1957-64;
some more general files on work in Nigeria, 1958-60; and personal
correspondence during the time of Ida's illness and death, 1972,
and from S. Jay's final illness, 1978. 4.2 linear feet. Donor:
Mary Ann Hostetler Melchert, Oakland, California.
Kern Road Mennonite Church, 1960- , South Bend, Indiana.
Records, 1959-1984, of Tobe E. Schmucker including correspondence,
reports, church bulletins, minutes of council meetings and pastoral
committee, and financial records. Schmucker (1918-1986) had come
to South Bend in 1954 to begin the Hope Rescue Mission, and the
church began meeting at the mission in 1960. Earlier names of
the church were South Bend Mennonite Fellowship, 1960-62, and
then Kern Road Chapel, 1962-1982, when the congregation built
a meetingplace on Kern Road. 1 linear foot. Donor: Steve Nolt,
South Bend, Indiana.
Meyer, Esther (Steiner), 1898-1994. Correspondence,
writings, photographs and artifacts, 1910-1980. It includes Meyer's
journal of events at Oak Grove Mennonite Church, Smithville,
Ohio, 1945-47, regarding congregation-conference relations. The
papers also reflect Meyer's activity in getting a church constitution
written, and her suggestion on the use of elders in a church.
Other materials include work on the genealogy of Eby, Steiner
and Thut families on her mother's side, and of the Conrad, Gerig,
Meyer, and Schrock families on her father's side. Also includes
writings of her studies at Western Reserve University, her financial
journals, and her correspondence. She married J. C. Meyer in
1923. 7 linear feet. Donors: Children, Albert J. Meyer, Goshen,
Indiana; Margaret Irvin, El Sobrante, California; and John W.
Meyer, Stanford, California.
Neuschwander, Evangeline (Matthies) and Vernon L. Neuschwander,
1920-1992. Papers, books, and artifacts, 1930s-1950, reflecting
the life of Evangeline and Vernon, and their ministry of relief
and service with Mennonite Central Committee through the years.
Includes German songs sung by Evangeline in the Mennonite Brethren
churches in Ontario during the 1930s; Evangeline's work in the
Netherlands, 1946-48; Vernon's work in the Chaco, Paraguay, 1947;
and their work with youth in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1950. The
materials mentioned above represent one of many deposits of papers,
photographs, slides, tapes, maps, paintings and artifacts that
has been made by Evangeline and Vernon over the years. 1.25 linear
feet. Donor: Evangeline Neuschwander, Goshen, Indiana.
Winey, Lois, 1910-1995. Papers, 1958-1975, on Winey's
research into the Business Department of Goshen College, including
class lists, lists of graduates and their degrees, 1926-1975.
Courses included accounting, bookkeeping, business, commerce,
economics, secretarial work, shorthand, and typing. Materials
include unpublished papers such as "Business Education at
Goshen College, 1894-1952," by Erma Zook; and "History
of Shorthand;" and course materials from her classes through
the years. Winey was unable to complete a final report on her
research. Winey graduated from Goshen College in 1936, and was
an Assistant Professor of Business at the College from 1937-1977.
She received her M.A. from New York University in 1950. 15 linear
feet. Donor: Martha Stern, Goshen, Indiana.
Denis Stoesz has served as archivist since 1989.
Mennonite Historical Bulletin, July 1998